What we do
- 5 parishes or public chapels are provided by the Friars, serving London, Oxford, Cambridge, Leicester, and Edinburgh.
- Students at 8 UK universities benefit from our chaplaincy work, developing an adult faith to sustain their future life.
- The spiritual needs of the vulnerable are served in 3 UK prisons and 3 hospitals.
- Friars from all 5 of our UK houses provide much-needed cover for diocesan clergy and also minister to the military college at Shrivenham.
- Our houses in Grenada and Jamaica, supported by fundraising in UK diocesan parishes, serve the people of the Caribbean.
- Our tradition of community means that we take time to be with the people we serve, getting to know them as individuals – often building connections which last a lifetime.
Faith and Reason
- Publishing books, public talks, lectures and debates – the friars have a considerable output, promoting an intelligent engagement with the Catholic faith at all levels.
- Online apostolate: we use this website as a way to bring our preaching to all parts of the world.
- Through the Las Casas Institute, we promote critical reflection on questions of human dignity in the light of Catholic social teaching and theology.
Education and Training
- Blackfriars Hall, a Permanent Private Hall within Oxford University, is run by the friars. It brings excellence in teaching and research, on Catholic theology and philosophy, into the heart of this renowned university.
- Blackfriars also acts as an international study centre (Studium), teaching priests and religious sisters and brothers from both the Dominican Order and other orders.