Free lunchtime discussions on Christianity
Special Jubilee Season 11 – Autumn 2021
We were delighted to offer 3 online sessions, hosted by Smith & Williamson.
Webinar 1: Fr Nicholas Crowe OP –
‘Prayer in the Dominican tradition’
Tuesday, 19 October 2021, 12.30pm (UK time)
Every religious order has its distinct way of praying that sustains them in their charism. So how is the Dominican mission of preaching and the intellectual apostolate supported in their prayer life? What were the ‘nine ways of prayer’ given to the order by St Dominic? How is the Rosary a Dominican prayer? And what have other Dominican saints contributed to this tradition?
Webinar 2: Br Bede Mullens OP –
‘A Brief History of the English Province‘
Wednesday, 17 November 2021, 12.30pm (UK time)
The story of the Dominicans is intertwined with key moments in our nation’s history: the development of the first university in Oxford, the high Christian era of the Middle Ages, the desolation of the Reformation, the Catholic revival in the Victorian age, and the continuing struggles of our modern age. Br Bede, currently a student brother at Blackfriars, Oxford, will give us a whirlwind tour of 800 years of history, and pick out a few Dominican friars who shaped or were shaped by the times they lived in.
Webinar 3: Fr Richard Ounsworth OP –
‘The Universal Vocation to Preach’
Tuesday, 14 December 2021, 12.30pm (UK time)
Dominicans are the ‘Order of Preachers’. Nowadays, however, Christians usually want to avoid coming over as ‘preachy’ – so in what way are we all expected to ‘preach’? What can the Dominican tradition teach us all about how to proclaim the gospel, and what lessons can it offer us as we seek to share our faith with a secular age?
Recordings of previous webinars are available on Facebook.
Our usual format
- Designed for Busy Professionals – All Welcome (no charge)
- Meeting in the City of London
- Free Lunch provided by our hosts
- Talk by a Dominican friar + round-table discussion
- Opportunities to meet with other like-minded people
This forum is an opportunity for busy professionals to deepen their understanding of how to live out the Christian faith in their day-to-day lives, considering the challenges they encounter in work, in home life, and in a society that often holds to different values.
Sign up for notifications of future events
Put your details in the form below (any problems with the form, email email@example.com)
About the Dominican Friars
* The Dominican Friars are a religious order in the Catholic church. They specialise in the intellectual apostolate, and their high level of training allows them to engage and debate with a wide range of viewpoints and at many levels. As the ‘Order of Preachers’ they have a strong tradition of engaging preaching and are much sought-after as speakers. Also known as the ‘Blackfriars’, the area of the same name in London is called after the great Dominican priory which once stood there.