The Seven Last Words – 1. ‘Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do’
The Seven Last Words | From the Friday before Palm Sunday until Holy Saturday, the student brothers offer you a daily meditation on the Seven Last Words from the Cross, to accompany you and help you prepare for the mystery of Easter.
This Holy Week, the Dominican student brothers at Blackfriars Oxford invite you to meditate on the Seven Last Words. In this ancient devotion, the Church ponders Jesus’ last words as he hung from the Cross, finding in them a great source of spiritual nourishment and consolation.
From the Friday before Palm Sunday until Holy Saturday, we will upload a daily podcast meditation, to accompany you and help you prepare for the mystery of Easter.
1. “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.” (Lk 23:34), by Br Gabriel Theis, O.P.
All the posts in the series:
- 03.05.20 Friday of the 5th week of Lent – Introduction.
- 04.05.20 Saturday of the 5th week of Lent – Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.
- 05.05.20 Palm Sunday – Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.
- 06.05.20 Monday of Holy Week – Jesus said to his mother: “Woman, this is your son.” Then he said to the disciple: “This is your mother“.
- 07.05.20 Tuesday of Holy Week – My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
- 08.05.20 Wednesday of Holy Week – I thirst.
- 09.05.20 Maundy Thursday – It is finished.
- 10.05.20 Good Friday – Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.
- 11.05.20 Holy Saturday – With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.